Shows a list of similar threads when a user is creating or viewing a thread.
The Similar threads add-on will do the following:
- Show a list of similar threads when a user is creating a new thread.
- Show a list of similar threads when a user is viewing a thread.
- Forum view permissions honored. If a member doesn't have permission to view certain forums, similar threads will not be shown from those forums.
- Supports Enhanced search.
- All phrases start with similarthreads_ for your convenience.
- Download Andy-SimilarThreads-4.5.zip and unzip it.
- Copy the src/addons/Andy/SimilarThreads directory to your server.
- From the Admin Control Panel Install the add-on.
Normally you will want to set "Allow" for the following two user groups:
Unregistered / Unconfirmed
Creating optional widget:
This widget is used to display a similar threads block in the thread view sidebar.
- Admin Control Panel -> Appearance -> Widgets
- Widget definition = Similar threads
- Widget key = similar_threads
- Title = (leave blank)
- Display in positions = Thread view: Sidebar
- Click Save.
To enable Enhanced search, select in the Options page. Make sure you have ElasticSearch 6.x installed on your server.
Enhanced search gives better similar thread results because it uses stemming.
Question and answers:
Q: Do I ever have to rebuild the search or thread indexes to use this add-on?
Q: Are thread titles and posts searched?
A: Only thread titles are searched.
Q: Is the "View threads by others" set to No or Never honored?
A: No. You will need to exclude those forums in the options page.
Q: In order to use Enhanced search option, which version of Elasticsearch and Enhanced search will I need?
A: You will need Elasticsearch 6.0.0 (or newer) and Enhanced search 1.1.7 (or newer).